Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Home without Books...

One of my favorite quotes is "A home without books is like a body without a soul". It just strikes me as one of those really important things. We learn form books. It's part of how we gain the knowledge and the knowhow to be better than we are and better than we thought we could be. I never can understand how it is that people don't read. Not can't read, Not don't know how, but won't read. Knowledge really is power and I'm starting to wonder what the world is going to be like when people start refusing to read. I cringe every time I ask a kid what they like to read and they answer "OH, I don't read" or "I don't know how to read" even though they really do know. I wonder who's fault it is that we have a generation growing up that chooses not to read. It's not all of the children. I know plenty that love to read as much as I do, but how will our world be, what will it look like once these children who want everything to happen automatically without working for it. I'm not saying that reading would make everything better, but smarter, more well rounded people will definitely make the world a better place.

2 comments:

pfirsch said...

Even though I haven't watched it yet, the movie Idiocracy might really be our future. That's the sad conclusion I came to after working in a high school for almost two years.

What most kids don't realize is that the people who do read might not choose to use their powers for good instead of evil.

I always appreciate what you have to say. Thanks.

Kirsten said...

Ok, so I finally saw the movie Idiocracy and I think I was scared. I see exactly what your saying now.